Applications are welcomed for an Upper GI and Bariatric Surgical Fellowship position at Jordaan Surgical and the Surgical Weight Loss Centre based at Pindara Private Hospital on the Gold Coast (Queensland).
Overview of unit:
The Centre provides a comprehensive multidisciplinary medical and surgical weight loss service, anti-reflux and hernia repair service.
We are a multi-procedural unit offering the whole range of bariatric surgery procedures including sleeve gastrectomy, SADI-S and gastric bypass surgery (OAGB and RYGB) along with complex revisional surgery. We also perform anti-reflux surgery in the bariatric and non-bariatric context. Other surgical procedures include: Abdominal wall hernia surgery including complex abdominal wall reconstructions, cholecystectomies and upper GI endoscopy.
The unit also includes an integrated medical weight loss program providing adjuvant therapy to surgery as well as stand-alone medical weight loss therapy, as well as nutritional support with vitamin and mineral injections and infusions.
The objective of this position is to be a combined clinical and research post, providing direct operative experience and multidisciplinary clinics in the private sector.
- The Fellow will participate in bariatric clinics with multidisciplinary focus.
- The Fellow will gain experience in the inpatient care of bariatric surgical patients including early and late complications.
- It is expected that the Fellow would have the opportunity to perform 500 or more bariatric procedures and participate in more than 350 cases.
- It is expected that the Fellow would be involved in over 40 bariatric consultations per month or more than 500 per year.
- Clinical commitments include participation in general surgical on call roster and management of bariatric emergencies with Dr Jacobus Jordaan.
- Clinical commitments also include providing cover for Dr Jacobus Jordaan.
- The Fellow will be expected to undertake dedicated bariatric research during the 12-month term.
- The successful candidate will be able to contribute to at least one major clinical project suitable for publication and presentation at national or international level.
- A number of clinical projects and research along with clinical studies and quality assurance will be available under the supervision of Dr. Jacobus Jordaan and opportunity exists for collaboration with the research team.
Applicants would ideally:
- hold FRACS in Australia with no restrictions
- have an interest in upper GI surgery and wishing to enhance bariatric surgical experience
- have a pro-active, patient centred clinical approach with a commitment to best practice
- enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- be seeking opportunities for ongoing training and development
- Provide comprehensive surgical and peri-operative management of patients undertaking bariatric surgical procedures at Jordaan Surgical.
- Participate in Unit meetings and activities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to working as a team member with peer medical, resident, nursing and other staff to provide efficient, safe and quality care across the continuum.
- Participate in the auditing and review of clinical practices to improve clinical outcomes including participating in the Bariatric Surgical Registry
- Undertake and complete a clinical research project under the guidance of Dr Jacobus Jordaan.
- It is expected that the outcomes of this research will be presented at a national or international meeting and published in a peer reviewed journal.
This position encompasses 2.5 to 3 days of operating per week and 2 days of consulting. This is a private position and does not include a public appointment.
The position involves after hours general surgery on-call with the Principal surgeon
Duration: 1 year