Upper GI Bariatric Surgical Fellow
Austin Health, Fixed Term Full Time
1st February 2021 – 6th February 2022
Austin Health is the major provider of tertiary health services, health professional education and research across 3 campuses in the northeast of Melbourne and state-wide. Austin Health is world-renowned for its research and specialist work in cancer, liver transplantation, spinal cord injuries, neurology, endocrinology, mental health and rehabilitation.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and enthusiastic medical practitioners to join our team as an Upper GI Bariatric Fellow in the Upper GI Unit for the 2021 Clinical Year (commencing February 2021).
Details of Department
The Upper GI/Endocrinology Unit is part of the Division of Surgery, Anaesthesia & Procedural Medicine. It is responsible for the provision of services within these specialties as well as general surgery to patients across Austin Health, situated at Austin Hospital and Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital. The Head of Unit is Mr. Ahmad Aly
The Unit is committed to the provision of high quality patient care and maintains an ongoing commitment to Under Graduate and Post Graduate teaching. It also provides a consultative service for other Units with Austin Health.
Details of position requirements:
- Clinical commitments are to schedule operating lists, outpatient clinics, participation in general surgical on call roster and management of bariatric emergencies at Austin Health, that are encompassed in fixed salary.
- Allocated sessions and ad hoc private sector assisting may be billed privately by the Fellow in the usual way.
- The Fellow will be expected to undertake dedicated bariatric research during the 12-month term. A number of clinical projects will be available under the supervision of Mr. Ahmad Aly and opportunity exists for collaboration with the basic science research team headed by Professor Joe Proietto.
- The Fellow will participate in bariatric clinics with multidisciplinary focus including, medical, dietetics and psychology, to enhance their understanding of obesity and related disease and management in a multidisciplinary environment.
To be successful in this role you must:
- A commitment to Austin Health values.
- Registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) – (note eligible applicants will be assisted through this process).
- Have appropriate training and experience applicable to the field of Upper GI.
- Hold a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or its equivalent.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality patient care.
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels.
For full information, refer to the attached Position Description.
Work with us! Your reward is to work in a collaborative environment which will provide you with opportunities for ongoing training and development. Your benefits will include salary packaging, and employee assistance program.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory National Police Check conducted by Austin Health and if required, a Working With Children Check.
Austin Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
Click on ‘Apply Now’ at the end of this page. You will be directed to sign in/register through the Austin Health Careers Site. Complete the registration process as prompted.
Please note: You will be required to attach copies of the following to your online application:
- Cover letter
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Employment History Datasheet (upload as Selection Criteria Response)
- Fellowship Certificate (where applicable)
- Working with Children’s Check Card (where applicable)
Please visit the Austin Health Careers website below
Enquiries: Leanne Valenti
(03) 9496 3694
Applications close: 21/07/2020
Bariatric Surgical Fellow – Fixed term
Waitemata DHB, New Zealand
With 630,000 people living in our district, Waitemata District Health Board (WDHB) has the largest – and second fastest growing population among all district health boards in New Zealand.
We employ over 8,000 people in more than 30 different locations in the northern and western parts of Auckland.
Our main sites include North Shore Hospital on the shores of Lake Pupuke in Takapuna and Waitakere Hospital in lush, green West Auckland.
We are offering a 12 month surgical bariatric fellowship position beginning in Jan 2021 through to January 2022, for a qualified professional. You will ideally be OSSANZ and ANZGOSA accredited, and will gain hands on experience in laparoscopic gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch. Endoscopy recognition qualification is required. Participation in clinics and MDT, along with the expectation to teach junior staff, as well as conducting a research project is required.
Your responsibilities will include outpatient clinics and theatre sessions including one acute theatre day approximately once every 3 -4 weeks with on-going management of acute patients admitted under your care (with reference to senior colleagues as required). You will take part in the Consultant on-call roster (with formal senior consultant backup) and will assist with supervision of registrars.
Both North Shore and Waitakere hospitals provide friendly and supportive environments, with easy access to a multitude of outdoor pursuits.
You will have FRACS and hold (or are eligible for) NZ Medical Registration.
To view a position description click here
Please apply online at www.wdhbcareers.com
For further information in the first instance please call Helen Olsen – Operations Manager, General Surgery at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job code: NOR06684
Closing date: 12th July 2020